Saturday, October 26, 2013

SIX YARDS SAREE– AN ENCHILADA OF WONDER, APPEAL AND GLAMOUR

             'Saree'
              the poise and grace of a woman,
              a six yards wonder to add to elegance, feminity and sensuality 
              the most beautiful attire, a timeless fashion!
For me saree is an exquisite piece of magic that flatters a woman’s look and makes her feel glamorous. Time and again you may flirt with other eastern and western garments but a saree’s ability to play off feminity with mystery and elegance cannot be compared to any other garments. Drape any woman in a saree and you change her persona. One may not have a body for a gown or a trouser, but I think every woman looks most elegant in a saree. It completely adapts to your body form and reflects your individuality. A saree exudes distinct elegance and charm complimenting every woman that adorns it. It is stylish and sexy and in fact could become the best tease for your body – covering just the right amount of flesh and leaving rest to one’s imagination.
Saree has always been my all-time fashionista favourite – I regularly wear it to workplace, parties and festive occasions. The more comfortably I drape saree around me, the more I get enticed by the grace, elegance and feminity it casts on me. Often times I feel I could have been born in a saree – I am most comfortable in this one-piece unzipped and unstitched garment and I can carry it off calmly all through the day. The reflection of grace and poise apart, I feel saree also subliminally announces my calmness and self-control.
Lucknowi Chicken, Batik prints and Kerala Kausuvo

South India raw silks and Nepali Dhaka prints
 
Kanjeevaram and printed Tussar silks
Sarees adorn my wardrobes like no other apparels. My wardrobe is a showcase of weaves and textile heritage collected from across India (see pictures above). I have also treasured a few handloom Nepali Dhaka sarees from Palpa and Terhathum but I am yet to collect a piece of Haku Patasi. I feel like I am on a personal fashion mission to collect sarees simply for the love of varied textures, fine weaves, striking hues and intricate motifs. I have only begun and it has already been a fascinating exercise! My favourite picks mostly consist of cotton and Pattu (silk) sarees. I am often times intrigued and fascinated by the versatility of textures and colour combination a saree offers – this reason why my wardrobe boasts of varieties of sarees you could imagine! My collection comprises of crisp cotton sarees, flowing chiffons and georgettes, zari synthetics and silk sarees.
I am also a conscious style purist and like collecting traditional heritage textiles and fabrics that represent different regions of India. My major selections come from West Bengal, South India (Tamil Nadu and Karnataka), Rajasthan and Kerala. When talking about patterns, my all-time favourite cotton sarees are Jamdani and Dhaka geometric thread-work pattern from Bengal and on silks, I guess nothing can ever beat gold-bordered Kanjeevaram, vibrant-colored Mysore printed silk and see-through Chanderi silk sarees. Lucknowi chicken and jagged temple patterns from Orrissa are lovely too!
If this post has aroused much of your interest in sarees, I now leave it to you to explore more – about fabrics, textures, weaves and patterns, colors and draping styles!

2 comments:

  1. Give me some, I love all of them :)) Really loved your writing, please write more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment!

    Will write more for sure! Cheers, Sabita

    ReplyDelete