Friday, January 4, 2013

Open up space for my freedom to flourish!

Angry, bitter, enraged, infuriated – these describe less of my expressions and feelings of the moment when I heard about Delhi rape case; and Shiwa, Bindu and other atrocious crimes against women in the news. For want of more news and information and in utter desperation, all that week I twiddled frantically at my TV remote buttons. Whatever I heard or saw, it only created a rampage inside me!

I embraced my inner self to ask if there was anything wrong in being a woman. Only one voice resonated loud and clear through me – I am so proud being a woman. I am smart, respectful, hopeful, inspirational, and you name it that constitutes a proud woman! Being a woman that I am, in fact, has been an amazing adventure. It’s such a beautiful experience, such a beautiful feeling, why would ‘you’ commit such heinous crimes?

Is it my body or is it in your mind? Ten years back when I was researching on gender issues, I read the Second Sex by Simone de Beauvoir wherein she raised the core question of female embodiment: Are the supposed disadvantages of the female body actual disadvantages which exist objectively in all societies, or are they merely judged to be disadvantages by our society?What de Beauvoir suggests it’s not a woman’s physical stature or appearance, rather it is mind and perception of the society we live in that constructs an oppressive environment for a woman. I feel nice about being a woman but it’s just not a matter of my free choice unless the society gives space for my freedom.

Angry I am. But, I am also introspecting – this is the time to recollect all magnitudes of my feelings and turn that into hope and determination. Be it in the name of Shiwa, Bindu or Saraswati, I want to rise and revolt against injustice. Within me speaks parts of Shiwa, Bindu or Saraswati, calling me to unleash the brutality that every woman faces in our societies. That’s one reason I am with the force of “Occupy Baluwatar”. My twitter feed often times explodes with messages of support and encouragement for “Occupy Baluwatar”. I hope politicians will rise above their political base and take up “women’s issue” as an issue of supreme national importance. If government fails to action justice on #occupybaluwatar cases, history will book its leaders/politicians as ones with failed conscience.

Dear leaders, politicians, lawmakers: if you cannot open up a space for my freedom to flourish; beware, we women will lead your way – at whatever cost it may be!!

No comments:

Post a Comment